BEWARE! DARK SEAS AUTHOR AND ILLUSTRATOR SHOWCASE – Halloween / Fall Showcase!
“…When we die, we become the foam on the ocean.” – The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Andersen
WHAT IS BEWARE! DARK SEAS?
Welcome to the open submission call for the 6th annual author and artist showcase! Beware! Dark Seas is an author & artist showcase of short stories and art that are dark in nature, macabre, or horror themed. All submissions are connected by one common theme—the sea!
This could be above the water—think boats, ghost ships, things found floating on surfaces, washing up on the shore, or even a mysterious island surrounded by water…
This could be under the water—think mermaids, deadly sirens, sharks, scuba diving, shipwrecks, buried treasure, sea witches, underwater cities, underwater graveyards, or literally anything your creepy mind can think of.
All writers are welcome.
All genres are welcome.
All art is welcome.
All talent levels welcome.
Due to time restraints, I AM ONLY TAKING THE FIRST 40 PEOPLE TO SIGN UP. Sign up here.
Submissions are due: August 1, 2018.
Featured: They will be showcased through September and October 2018.
ARE THERE RULES?
There are only have a few rules:
1. Turn your work in by the deadline. It must feature some aspect of the sea.
2. Keep your word count between 1000 to 4000 words.
3. If you’re making art, be able to provide me with a high res image.
4. Be nice. Support each other. Leave a friendly comment for the others on their post dates if you can. Spread the word.
GREAT, SO WHAT DO I DO TO JOIN?
Sign up, write your heart out (or art your heart out), and get ready to be spooky with it.
2. Write a story or create some spooky art.
3. By August 1st, 2018, send your work to me, a bio and an author/artist pic / buy links if you want me to include them in the posting. Email to Jolene.Haley at gmail.com.
4. Try to stay afloat…but Beware! There are dark seas ahead!
What do i send over in my submission email?
On or before the August 1, 2018 deadline, you should send your submission to me @ Jolene.Haley at gmail.com. What to send is:
1. Have your subject by something like: Beware! Dark Seas Submission: Submission Name by Author/Artist Name.
Example: Beware! Dark Seas: Mermaids Smell by Jolene Haley
2. Send your submission as a word doc or your art as a high res image file. If you have another creative way to showcase (ie interactive art, etc), let me know.
3. Type up a biography on yourself. This can include where you want to school, what you do, or what you’ve written, etc. If you want to include an artist/author pic and buy links, attach that too or copy/paste in the body of the email.
4. Let me know if you need anything. I will respond when I’ve scheduled your post with your date and time and link when it goes live. It takes me about 30 days to schedule them all. I do NOT normally proof-read or assist with edits. That’s on you. I will, however, read them and enjoy them.
Sign up and get ready to have some scary fun! If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the comments below.
If you’re curious about previous showcases I’ve run, check out [WARNING! Dangerously cool art and free scary stories lie ahead]:
- Summer of Screams
- Haunted Hotel showcase
- Night Harvest showcase
- Haunted House showcase
- Dark Carnival showcase