amwriting, Baguchinsky, Blake, blog hop, Bump in the Night, Childs, horror, My Next Big Thing, urban fantasy, writing, ya, YA lit/
My Next Big Thing: Bump in the Night
I’ve been invited by the lovely Lauren Spieller to participate in My Next Best Thing! That said, I’m pumped to talk about my novel Bump in the Night.
1. What is the working title of your book?
Bump in the Night
2. Where did the idea for your book come from?
I’ve always been a huge fan of the macabre and of monsters. There’s always been shows like Supernatural, etc where there are lots of men hunting down the things that go bump in the night… but where are the girls?! That’s where the idea came from. That and years of reading Goosebumps.
3. What genre does your book fall under?
Bump in the Night is a YA urban fantasy novel with strong elements of horror.
4. What actors would you chose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
I would love to see this on a big screen! This was actually pretty tough, but here’s what I have:
Samantha– Ass-kicking, fearless protagonist
Deacon– Love interest / Sheriff’s son
Tyler– Deacon’s best friend
Marcheline– Sam’s best friend
Victoria– Sam’s Mom
Eliza– Sam’s Grandmother and Mentor
5. What is a one sentence synopsis of your manuscript?
16-year-old Samantha fights monsters as a Guardian of the Day, while trying to live her life as normal as possible and investigate her Grandmother’s disappearance.
6. Will your book be self published or represented by an agency?
7. How long did it take to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Bump in the Night was started in 2011 and finished during May 2012. I’ve been editing it ever since.
8. What other books would you compare this story to within the genre?
Bump in the Night is probably a cross between Spookygirl by Jill Baguchinsky and Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake. I love both of these novels so so much! Also, Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs holds some similarities.
9. Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My love for writing strong female protagonists and my obsession with horror stories/monsters.
10. What else about the book might pique the reader’s interest?
I think there is something for everyone in Bump in the Night. There’s a love story. A mystery. Monsters and fighting. There are normal growing pains. Loss. I love my story. But then again, don’t all writers? I just hope someday, other people might love it too.
Thanks so much for stopping by to check out my novel! I’m passing the torch onto one of my favorite writerly people, and one of the best writers I know: Haylee Qualls.
If you have any questions about Bump in the Night, don’t hesitate to ask!